23.9.09

art duality lecture

So I went to this Double Visions lecture. I thought I would really enjoy the artist's talk but walked away having more value for science than art. Since then, I have been questioning the use of art and its seeming futility. The doctor who spoke seemed to have such a better understanding of the world and life than the artist who tried to equate the two fields. Like comparinmg learning the new photoshop with learning the newest in Interventional Radiology...science that can blow anyone's mind. I began to think that there has been a reason why art has been a leisure activity (of sorts) for so long and I am being to feel that it shouldn't be the only thing you do with your life; ie starving artist are silly. But then again maybe I just haven't met an artist who is able to move people and make a different in the world or that can leave me speakless. I think there should just be more time for everything. Check out the artist's website...he did a pretty good job i think...esp the animation if you click on his album. The music is interesting... I need to learn how to make websites. http://www.marcusamaker.com/ And I want to know what doctors know! Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty just sound so cool!





Okay so with a CT scanner they take multiple sections(64+sections at once) of your body within 1/3rd of a second. Maybe you guys know all this. SO they are able to find out almost anything wrong with you. Because it is so fast they can tell if your heart is messing up, etc. He said by the age of 30, if you got a full body scan, say just for fun, he garuntees he will be able to find something wrong with you. Ignorance is bliss for real. These are some of the images they can make from these machines. They can then make animations of these images...say to show how your heart is beating or maybe your blood flowing. Cool stuff. i want one of me. I should have been a scientist. PS this is going to be incorporated into my work somehow....
sorry long entry, i WANT TO HEAR YOUR opinions

6 comments:

halimeda said...

im hope i dont gross anyone out =0

Temps said...

Duh starving artist are stupid. If you're starving you must not be a very good artist.

You should work on incorporating more science into your work. Those scans are incredible.

mooresy said...

I can completely understand the feeling that science "trumps" art. In a way, you're right - when there is a choice between devoting time to saving lives or devoting it to color theory, the answer seems obvious. For most genres of life, science does answer more questions, prompt more feelings of marvel... But art, and creating in general, is absolutely essential to a full and rewarding life. [Maybe I'm biased because of my love for art...] Art can address things that science cannot. Science is about fact, rationality, "if:then", is about things that are measurable and observable. But art can be a conversation, can ask questions rather than merely seeking to answer them. Art can make statements about ethics, metaphysics, concepts of right and wrong, can handle concepts which science cannot test. I read science articles with the hunger of any nerd. But I can also remember times when I have stood in front of artwork and felt disturbed or amazed, and that feeling stayed with me for days and made me discover something about myself.

For all of us as designers, it is tempting to feel guilty that we aren't curing diseases or inventing new technologies. But our contribution is just as important to the quality of life in general. The Surrealist and the Abstract movements radically changed social perception, and some would argue that those new perceptions laid the ground for political and social movements that spawned more open-minded opinions about equality, rights, etc.

The whole starving artist motif is pretty silly, and I agree that art and design shouldn't be the only thing we do with our lives. But we are designers. It's the stuff our blood is made of. Hali, you are so creative! Embrace it, and use your fascination with science to SAY something, you know? If you haven't seen art that moves you, MAKE art that moves you. Temples is totally right - these scans are gorgeous! Maybe all these doubts you're feeling about the value of art becomes the stuff your art is made of.

mooresy said...

Dude -- sorry for the essay. Didn't realize how long it was until I posted.

halimeda said...

id say well put sarah, no length is too long for discussions =)

Kaitlyn said...

In the harsh reality of the world we live in, art means very little as separate entity; but, it is a wonderful tool for fleshing out ideas from other disciplines. Anyone (well...most anyone) can create a piece that is nice to look at, but very few people are blessed with the ability to transcend the aesthetic realm and really SAY something.

Starving artists wouldn't be starving if they had something meaningful to say and were thoughtful about the way they said it.

This is really fascinating. I can't wait to see where you take this.