12.9.10

Seasonal me


Summer is ending. No more hot sticky nights or heavy thick air. Gone are the days where my cat sleeps in the bathtub because my attic apartment is exceeding healthy temperatures. But, as the days become cooler I must say goodbye to the summer produce. So my last summer dish of the season I used every vegetable I had and welcomed fall open arms.

Soup is synonymous with fall and if you add a crock pot, well its perfection. Anything that is waiting for you hot when you come home from a long day is really nothing short of a miracle. If you are having day's like mine, well this is the easiest way to have dinner on the table that takes no effort at all.

Veggie Soup
1. Throw all of your dying vegetables into the crock pot. My soup was made up of okra, potatoes, tomatoes, squash, green peppers and scallions.
2. Add 4 cups water or chicken broth or your choice of liquid.
3. Season. I added oregano, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper
4. Cook on low for 7 hours
5. Eat

PS: Apples are in season. I am attempting apple butter.

5 comments:

VA said...

bonita

Temps said...

this is only related, but can we talk about how short the fig season was? Broke my heart.

Amy said...

Not as short as rhubarb though. My last figs got baked into some bread with my last peach.

Kaitlyn said...

i love hodge-podge soups. i made one out of potatoes, onions, squash and other various things. it's such a great way to make sure i didn't waste any produce.

also: stopit! i LOVE apple butter. if you find a good recipe please post.

Unknown said...

ahh pp we on the same page, i made some bomb butternut squash + potato soup, feat. cumin, curry, and cinnamon.