5.7.10

seasonal me


My vegetables are ready to harvest and unlike any normal gardner I am too proud to eat them. Sad that I cant bring myself to put them in something thats worthy. However for those of you growing zucchini, here is an amazing dish that I encourage you to slice them up and make immediately.


Zucchini and Ricotta Galette

History: A Galette is a French sweet bread and usually known as a cake with a crust. Also delicious.

Pastry
1 1/4 c all purpose flour (chilled)
1/4 t salt
8 T butter ( i used less because a whole stick scared me and I instantly heard my arteries crying)
1/4 c sour cream
2 t lemon juice ( i used lime because i was too lazy to get lemons)
1/4 ice water

Filling
1 large or small zucchini cut in 1/4 inch rounds
1 T olive oil
1 medium garlic clove
1/2 c ricotta
1/2 c grated parmesan
1/4 c mozzarella
some basil

Dough
whisk flour and salt together and cut in small pieces of butter. Mix until mixture resembles a coarse meal. In a separate bowl whisk sour cream, lemon juice and water. Add liquid mix to dry and stir. Large lumps should form and then pat into a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Glaze
whisk one egg yolk with 1 t of water

Make Filling
spread the zucchini out and let the dry for 30 minutes. This will decrease liquid buildup later on. Whisk together olive oil and garlic. In a separate bowl combine cheeses with 1 T of garlic oil mix with salt and pepper.

Prepare Galette
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll dough out to a 12 inch round. Place on baking sheet. Spread cheese mixture in the middle leaving a 2 inch border. Spread zucchini on top of cheese mix. Drizzle the remaining garlic oil on top. Fold the border over the edge pleating the edge to make it fit. Brush on glaze to folded crust. Bake for 30-40 minutes.

The recipe is a bit lengthy and tedious but it is worth it! You can replace filling with anything and works well with both veggies and fruit.

3 comments:

Temps said...

Is that your tomato! Beautiful!

Kaitlyn said...

i don't think i could bring myself to eat that tomato either. its perfect.

Amy said...

Yes it is my tomato. I think i might just slice it up and eat it. Unadulterated perfection.