4.12.09

ICE...it's what's for dinner.





This is the final stage in re-telling the vertical farm story. I'm amused at this backwards-fudging of "process"... This is the last thing I'm re-doing for this project, but it's the first thing I should have done during that semester:
a study-model of ice.
I froze water in a Brita container which (of course) cracked in the process. The ice responded to the change in container shape, which gave the study model a cool ridge along the bottom. I used a heat gun to carve through the ice (why not?) which is a (bull-shit alert!!) representation of social and/or physical dynamics in Chicago -- how they might shape a building that "thaws" in response. (these could be physical or programmatic changes. probably both.)
Ice collects and refracts color. It splits light into mini-rainbows (I also have some photos of that...) and it freezes clear like glass, in crystalized bands that glitter, in bubbles, or in chunks of rough, white ice that collect light from the rest of the ice-chunk and glow. I got lucky - this model froze in all of those ways, I think because of the mid-freeze Brita-crack.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

duuuuuuuh. i'm not even mad at all the metaphors.