1.10.10

mooresy va reading project

"When insomnia, which is the philosopher's ailment, is increased through irritation caused by city noises; or when, late at night, the hum of automobiles and trucks rumbling through the Place Maubert causes me to curse my city dweller's fate, I can recover my calm by living the metaphors of the ocean. We all know that the big city is a clamorous sea, and it has been said countless times that, in the heart of the night in Paris, one hears the ceaseless murmur of flood and tide. So I make a sincere image out of these hackneyed ones, an image that is as much my own as though I myself had invented it, in line with my gentle mania for always believing that I am the subject of what I am thinking."

the poetics of space, gaston bachelard, pg. 28

2 comments:

Kaitlyn said...

i always pretend the 405 is an ocean. i went to SC this summer and it was so quiet i couldn't sleep.

VA said...

same when i came back from bcn.
:( i'll be in the city again soon. maybe summer? i need to get to workin on some plans.