13.6.10

seasonal me



I find myself these summer days dreaming about delicious recipes and sharing them with unsuspecting friends. Needless to say I have had more dinner guests the past few weeks than usual. Which of course I cannot argue with as cooking for one is a challenge. As I am sure some of you out there know all too well. Which leads me to the point that I got carried away this week and made over 6 dishes and well researched very little. Oops.


Despite the heat and the godzilla sized mosquitoes, one good thing about the south is the constant availability of sweet potatoes. However there are a few awkward months in the winter when I do mourn their absence. Knowing this, go and buy and be prepared for amazing sweet potato fries.
Ingredients:
1. Sweet Potatoes
2. Vegetable Oil
3. Spices of your choice: mine were coriander, cumin, red chili flakes, salt and pepper

Directions: so easy that its silly i'm posting
1. Preheat oven to 450
2. Cut potatoes either in 1/3 inch rounds or strips
3. combine 2 T of oil and spices
4. Toss potatoes and spice mixture
5. Bake potatoes for 20 minutes
6. Turn over potatoes and bake for 10-15 minutes
**Watch them closely because they can easily burn, so timing is flexible.**
Eat!!! sorry no pictures because well my neighbor and I were too excited for photographs


In case you have not noticed zucchini is in season!!!!!! As a kid, I absolutely hated zucchini. I was the child that sat at the table for hours due to me not eating zucchini. Thank god tastes "mature." Plus they are super cheap at the farmers market, win/win.

Ingredients
1. 3 eggs
2. 1 c olive oil
3. 1 3/4 c sugar
4. 2 c grated zucchini
5. 2 t vanilla
6. 3 c flour
7. 3 t cinnamon
8. 1 t nutmeg
9. 1 t baking soda
10. 1/2 t baking powder
11. 1 t salt
12. walnuts
13. cranberries or dried fruit of your choice (i used craisons because I love them.)

Directions (yields 2 loaves or 24 muffins)
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Grease/flour 2 8x4 loaf pans
3. Beat eggs and mix in oil and sugar. Add zucchini and vanilla
4. combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nuts and dried fruit if you are using it.
5.Stir dry mix into egg mixture.
6. Divide into pans
7. Bake for ~60 minutes


1 comment:

Joshua said...

i can't wait to be in walking distance of all this... luckily in january,the vegetables will be frozen by truly natural processes