5.6.10

seasonal me


Its officially summer and it has been hot and muggy. I am sure I would be more comfortable if I put my ac window unit, but those who have one can agree with the statement that I would rather be hot then poor. Saying this, cooking has been a challenge because the last thing anyone wants to do is to stand in front of the heat. But I have two recipes that are easy and embrace summer.


Vegetables are in full swing at the farmers market and I have been dying to eat something other than leafy greens. Therefore I have been borrowing recipes from my favorite NY foodie.


First up: Haricot vert with shallots, which is the easiest vegetable dish to make and you will wonder why you weren’t making them this way all the time.
Ingredients: specific size is dependent on how many are eating
1. Haricot vert/ your choice of green bean ( I used long beans)
2. Shallots
3. 1 t butter or olive oil
4. Tomatoes
5. Lemon WedgeThe original recipe calls for you to boil your beans, but i am a huge advocate for steaming! I am sure I dont have to convince you why its better.
Directions
1. Steam the beans2. Saute the shallots in the butter
3. Add the beans into the pan with simple seasoning
4. Remove from heat and add tomatoes and lemon juice
5. Eat with fingers with wine on your porch/deck






Second Recipe: Herbed Summer Squash and Potato Torte

This dish requires time in front of the oven but it is worth it. I apologize ahead of time for how ugly it will look.

Ingredients: specific size is dependent on how many are eating
1. Potatoes (Yukons are in season and oh so tasty!)
2. Summer Squash
3. Olive Oil
4. 1 C parmesan Cheese
5. shallots
6. 2 T flour
7. Salt and pepper
8. Thyme ( i substituted with oregano and rosemary)
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 and butter 8 inch cake pan
2. Cut potatoes and squash into 1/8 thick rounds
3. Combine cheese, shallots, flour, salt, pepper and herb
4. Layer cake pan with one layer potatoes and one layer squash then drizzle with oil. Add cheese mix on top. Repeat layers.
5. Cover pan and bake for 40 min
6. Remove cover and bake for 20 more min so potatoes brown
7. Serve and eat

6 comments:

Temps said...

I need those beans! Wonderful ideas, this is making me really feel like summer.

Kaitlyn said...

this has me so excited! my summer doesnt officially start until thursday but i finally made my way to the farmers market today and picked up a few things and one of them was green beans. im trying the first recipe tonight. thanks for sharing.

Amy said...

Yay im glad you are trying it out. Im sure it will be delicious! You really cant go too wrong with simple ingredients.

Kaitlyn said...

i made it last night and shared with the neighbors. it was fabulous. i took photos with my new camera that i'll post soon.

keep the recipes coming!

Unknown said...

come cook for me, mama!

Amy said...

i dont know how to do vegan, everything has a hint of butter or an egg or cheese.