11.5.10

de goya, opera, and photoshop


















This quarter, we are designing an opera, Rigoletto. The assignment is to realize one scene through model, draftings, etc and I chose the final scene because it is the most emotionally charged.

In the final scene Rigoletto is about to dump the body of the Duke into the river. When he hears the Duke singing in the distance, he opens the bag to realize that the dead body is not the Duke, but his daughter Gilda. Gilda had herself killed in the Duke's place because she is in love with him. When Rigoletto opens the body bag, she sings a beautiful aria for about 8 minutes (because what's an opera without some drama) and then dies.

This collage is my emotional response to the scene. My main source of inspiration was the work of Francisco de Goya. More to come.


5 comments:

mooresy said...

I feel like this is every hauntingly beautiful dream I ever had, aaahhh good work. If I saw this opera and you did the set I might be affected for dayyyyyssssss.

Joshua said...

i love the image... i am even more excited about what you are going to do next. How would you create the blurs in the foreground? sketches? :D

Kaitlyn said...

im picturing lighting creating those blurs. probably with the help of some fog. working on the model so i'll have new things up in a few days.

Unknown said...

can't wait to see the model! i was thinking you could accomplish the blurs with lighting on a squiggly scrim? i like this weird southern nostalgic mixed with the classical heavens. all eerie. all appropriate.

Kaitlyn said...

ok so my prof cancelled the project. i am working on a film from 7-7 for a week followed by my costume design project. i thought about working on it over the summer but my time is already spoken for. sad...but i think this one needs a rest.

my prof mentioned starting this one up again in the fall though.