19.4.10

Studio Culture Documentary Short

So recently (today) I started conducting interviews, along with capturing other footage, of architecture students talking about the subject of 'studio culture.' I am working on a documentary short (with a little money from the clemson AIAS) on the subject that will be part of that discussion at Clemson. I interviewed about 7 or 8 students today but with all interviews, even with as much freedom as you give the person being interviewed, the questions frame the discussion....

....So I would love to get any input from you all, whether it be questions to ask students, opinions about things that could be improved, subject areas that would provide students a chance to open up, important events/moments that should be captured on film in order to describe studio, or anything else you can think of.

Here is a brief, but not exclusive, topical rundown that I use to frame the discussion with interviewees:

-Meaning of studio culture
-Uniqueness of Clemon studio culture
-Dedication level of an architectural education
-Time spent of projects
-Ownership level of student work
-Inter-student relations (collaboration, camaraderie, sense of community)
-Student-professor relationships (tenure professors vs. younger professors, clearness of expectations, grading policy, the power of the professor)
-The culture of criticism/reviews as unique to studio culture

-the fluid campus as integral part of Clemson studio culture

Another topic that keeps coming up, that I think is particularly interesting and important, is the ability of professors to grade harshly or for students to be kicked out in order to make room for students who really want to be in the program, that get stuck on waiting lists.

Also...I would like to get some interviews with you all - maybe just by video-chatting with a screen capture software. I think the idea of the discussion not just taking place in physical-clemson studio is important to the idea of studio culture. So let me know if you got something to say.

I will be posting segments from these interviews soon.



4 comments:

Joshua said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joshua said...

Buddy this sounds great! What a wonderful idea... I think some contrast material could be interesting. What do "nonarchitecture" people think of what happens in Lee Hall or what are their impressions of architecture students? This can be from folks like Dombrowski and Laws who have connections with us to a business or chemistry major who may not know an architect as intimately as Amy and Kate. I know whenever I tell people that I am an architecture major, they make this face or are shocked or in slight awe like "wow, you are dedicated." The expression can almost be negative too. My mom worries that I won't have a family or "regular" life, which is an understandable concern. It obviously holds a weight, so that could be really nice to have that outside perspective.

And if you would like an interview, I would love to be a part of the project. I am sure most of us would!

mooresy said...

Are these interviews in conjunction with the ones you did this fall?

RAMiele said...

Sarah: i will be using some of the footage i took in the fall - it was not for this intention but they will end up working great

Josh: i like the idea of non-archies getting to talk as well about how we are percieved. I will work on finding a way to capture video via internet chatting or if you are in the clemson area anytime soon, call me up for an interview

It seems the older students have a lot more to say, so i know everyone here would have much more to say than most of the people i am inteviewing